Starting May 12, 2021, Wisper will able to offer eligible families a monthly service discount of up to $50 thanks to the Federal Communications Commission’s Emergency Broadband Benefit program.
The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the need for reliable internet service, but the price can big factor for some families. Because of this, the FCC created Emergency Broadband Benefits to help qualifying households afford their internet.
Eligible households can apply for $50 per month towards broadband service or up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. The FCC is also offering a one-time credit of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers.
Who Is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
In order to qualify for Emergency Broadband Benefits families must meet one of the following:
- Have an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline
- Be approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year
- Have received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020, and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers OR
- Meet the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
How to Apply
If you believe you qualify for benefits, you can enroll in monthly discounts starting May 12, 2021. To apply, go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org. As an existing Wisper customer, you’ll select “Wisper ISP” under the ‘Companies Near Me’ tab. If you qualify, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure you receive your credit.